MBBS ( Hons) FRCSEd Ophthal
- Speciality: ophthalmology.
- Sub-speciality: oculoplastics.
- Special clinical interests: small incision cataract surgery, lid and lacrimal surgery, skin cancer surgery, dry eye management, general ophthalmology.
- Current NHS and /or university posts: consultant ophthalmic and oculoplastic surgeon at Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre.
- Year of first medical qualification: 1992.
- Current membership(s) of professional, national and regional bodies: GMC, Midland Ophtahlmological Society, Oxford Congress, Royal college of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Midland Oculoplastic Surgeons Society.
I am a consultant in ophthalmology in Birmingham, providing general ophthalmology and oculoplastic services in the hospital and the community.
Having studied medicine in Calcutta University, I did my basic ophthalmology training in Calcutta National Medical College and Hospital. Thereafter I did my ophthalmology house jobs in the North of England rotations. I have completed specialist registrar training with a sub-speciality training in oculoplastic surgery from the West Midlands Deanery. I have gained comprehensive training in all areas of ophthalmology, with particular emphasis on oculoplastic surgery and trauma management as a post CCT fellow in oculoplastics at Manchester.
I have performed over 4000 cataract surgery and more than 1000 lid procedures, including about 100 blepharoplasties. I also have extensive experience in various Laser surgery.
I have published over 20 papers in peer-reviewed journals and presented widely in national and international meetings. I have consistently audited topics of local and national importance.
I am the educational supervisor and clinical supervisor for ophthalmic trainees and also involved in local and national recruitment of medical graduates and ophthalmic trainees.
I am the lead clinician and TSP lead for ophthalmic theatres and a member of the Capital Equipment Committee.
I am a keen cricketer and table tennis player. I enjoy good food and like to think that I am a good cook!