FRCS Trauma and Orthopaedics, BSc Orthopaedic Science, British Hand Diploma
- Speciality: Consultant trauma and orthopaedic surgeon.
- Sub-speciality: Hand, wrist and elbow and peripheral nerve surgeon.
- Special clinical interests: Carpal tunnel surgery, finger tendon Injuries including mallet finger and lacerations, dupuytren’s disease including xiapex, trigger finger, ganglion/lumps and bumps, fractures and dislocations of the hand, wrist, forearm and elbow, wrist arthroscopy (key hole), arthroscopic scaphoid non-union and TFCC repair, wrist and hand arthritis, joint replacement (arthroplasty), hand, wrist and elbow, tennis and golfer’s elbow, stiff elbow and arthritis.
- Current NHS and /or university posts: Heart of England NHS Trust.
- Year of first medical qualification: 1999.
- Current membership(s) of professional, national and regional bodies: GMC, BMA and Royal College of Surgeons.
Mr. Shyamalan is a leading hand and wrist surgeon based in the West Midlands. He is a director of The Midland Hand Clinic and he is based at Good Hope Hospital and Spire Little Aston private hospital. He specialises in minimally invasive hand and wrist surgery, offering expert diagnosis and treatment for a variety of chronic and traumatic conditions including hand, wrist and elbow sports injuries, wrist arthritis and scaphoid fractures.
Training and Education
Mr. Shyamalan gained his bachelor of medicine from the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine. He then went on to complete his General Orthopaedic training on the South West Thames Rotation.
Since qualifying he has had the privilege of working with a variety of world renowned experts, and was able to take his Hand and Plastics fellowship at a number of first-rate units around the world including Ganga Hospital in India, Royal North Shore Hospital in Australia and The Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London. During this time, he developed extensive expertise in Hand wrist and elbow conditions including complex nerve procedures, paediatric hand problems, soft tissue hand trauma, arthritis and wrist arthroscopy.
Alongside his clinical work, Mr. Shyamalan is particularly interested in furthering his knowledge, and improving the quality of education regarding treatment related to wrist fractures, wrist arthroscopy and Dupuytren’s surgery. He is a reviewer for the Journal of Hand Surgery British and European edition. He is also a trainer in hand surgery and general Orthopaedics.
Mr. Shyamalan is married with two children and is originally from the North of England. He went to Barnard Castle School and played for Durham County and first team rugby, cricket and squash.
He is a big England rugby fan, following them around the world, proud to be in the ground in Sydney 2003 when England became world champions.
He is a Europhile and spends two weeks a year in Normandy France. He prides himself on being down to earth and a family man. Love all serve all.