- Speciality: general podiatry and podiatric medicine, musculoskeletal and tissue injuries in podiatry.
- Special clinical interests: joint and soft tissue injection therapy for inflammation, sports injury and other joint and tissue problems of the feet and associated structures. ie: steroids, platelet rich plasma, volumising tissue fillers (hyaluronic acid), prolotherapy and viscosupplement.
- Current NHS/ University Posts: postgraduate tutor IOCP faculty of podiatric medicine.
- Consultant podiatrist: Priory and Edgbaston Hospitals Birmingham
- Current membership(s) of professional, national and regional bodies: UK Health and Care Professions Council, Institute of Chiropodists and podiatrists (IOCP), IOCP Faculty of podiatric medicine, Association of Surgeons in Primary care, College of Podiatric Surgeons.
Martin trained in chiropody at the oxford school of chiropody and then went on to gain his degree in podiatric medicine at Sunderland University. Postgraduate studies at New College Durham in local anaesthesia were followed by training in supplementary prescribing at Birmingham City University and minor surgery at Hertfordshire University. This was followed by a return to Birmingham City University to qualify as a fully independent prescriber when the law changed to permit this.
He has studied in both the UK and abroad under Austrian, Italian and Australian specialists in his special interest area of joint and soft tissue injections of the feet and associated structures and has subsequently trained podiatrists from the UK, Europe and the United States in these techniques.
As a licensed independent prescriber he is able to issue private prescriptions for all appropriate medicines for foot problems. He has served, and continues to serve, on various NHS national committees and working parties dealing with matters concerning both education and medicines use in UK podiatry. He also cuts toenails.
Martin is a keen scuba diver and motorcyclist ( he admits to owning three but there may be more at the back of the garage which he blames on his wife). Fortunately his wife shares the stated hobbies.