MBBS, DCP, MRCPsych, PGCME, PgCert, (Neuropsych)
- Specialities: general adult psychiatry.
- Sub Speciality: neuropsychiatry.
- Special Clinical Interests: depression, anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, bipolar and psychotic disorders, adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), stress related neurological disorders, tourettes syndrome, psychiatric disorders associated with neurological conditions such as multiple sclerosis, parkinsons disease, stroke and brain injury.
- Current NHS and/or University posts: Dr Thomas is a full time consultant psychiatrist with Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation Trust. He is based at The Barberry, National Centre for Mental Health. He is also an examiner at Birmingham University Medical school.
- Year of first Medical Qualification: 1997
- Current membership(s) of professional national and regional bodies: The Royal College of Psychiatrists, British Neuropsychiatry association, Birmingham Medical Institute.
He qualified as a doctor in 1997 and completed his higher specialist training in general adult psychiatry with the West Midlands Deanery. He became a member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 2007. He has worked in community mental health teams around the midlands and nationally and has expertise in a range of mental health conditions e.g. depression, anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, bipolar and psychotic disorders.
He completed his postgraduate degree in clinical neuropsychiatry from the University of Birmingham with distinction, following which he took up a full time consultant post in the neuropsychiatry department at The Barberry.
The Barberry centre is a renowned internationally for cutting edge research in psychiatry.
For many years he has had a keen interest in the causes and management of adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). He has received training in adult ADHD from the Institute of Psychiatry at Kings college, London.
He has contributed to research into tourettes syndrome and published articles in major journals in the field of psychiatry and neurology.
He is recognised by all major health insurance companies including BUPA , Aviva , PruHealth etc.