Consultant General and Colorectal Surgeon Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer, University of Birmingham MB ChB, PG Cert Med Ed, MScR, FRCS Ed (GenSurg)
- Speciality: general surgery.
- Sub-speciality: colorectal surgery.
- Special clinical interests: bowel cancer, advanced bowel, appendix and peritoneal cancer (peritoneal Metastases, carcinomatosis), anal conditions, haemorrhoids (piles), fissures, fistulas, pilonidal sinuses, hernias inguinal, umbilical, abdominal, gallstones endoscopy, colonoscopy (JAG-accredited).
- Current NHS and /or university posts: Good Hope Hospital, Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust.
- Year of first medical qualification: 1997.
- Current membership(s) of Professional, national and Regional bodies: General Medical Council, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland (ACPGBI), Peritoneal Sub-Group of ACPGBI, Royal Society of Medicine Coloproctology Section Council Member.
Having qualified from the University of Birmingham in 1997, Mr Youssef is a highly skilled general surgeon specialising in colorectal (bowel) surgery. He has completed specialist abdominal and peritoneal cancer fellowships in Basingstoke, the Washington Cancer Institute and the University Hospital in Leuven, Belgium. He has set up and leads the Birmingham Peritoneal Malignancy Unit performing Cytoreductive Surgery and Heated Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy for complex abdominal cancers.
Mr Youssef is able to investigate and treat causes of abdominal pain and symptoms of the bottom-end, such as anal pain, itching, soreness, irritation and bleeding. He is JAG-accredited for colonoscopy, a camera investigation of the bowel, which he performs offering patients the levels of sedation required. He has also developed interests in general surgical and colorectal conditions and performs laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery for a number of conditions, treatments for piles Including (THD – transanal haemorrhoidal dearterialisation), other anal conditions (fissures, fistulas, pilonidal sinuses, skin tags) and abdominal diseases, including hernias and gallstones.
Mr Youssef is the lead for colorectal research at the Heart of England NHS Foundation trust and has published a number of papers in key surgical journals. He is the lead for undergraduate surgical teaching at Good Hope Hospital, Senior Academy Surgical Tutor and Honorary Senior Clincal lecturer at the University of Birmingham.
Mr Youssef offers a professional, skilled, evidence-based and compassionate service.
Haney is married with 2 children and enjoys swimming and music. He is a Christian and attends the Coptic Orthodox Church.