FRCOphth FRCS Ophth (Edin) MS DO
- Speciality: ophthalmology
- Sub-speciality: cataract surgery, refractive lens surgery, glaucoma, dry eyes, general ophthalmology.
- Special clinical interests: cataract surgery with premium lens implant, refractive lens exchange to reduce dependence on glasses, glaucoma.
- Current NHS and /or university posts: full-time Private Practice NHS Consultant (2004-2018), Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust.
- Year of first medical qualification: 1992.
- Current membership(s) of professional, national and regional bodies: Fell, Royal College of Ophthalmologists Member, United Kingdom and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery member, European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, British Medical Association.
I have been practicing as an NHS consultant ophthalmologist for 15 years at the Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS trust (2004-2018), and now in full time private practice dedicated to providing high-quality cataract surgery service, bespoke glaucoma medical care and general ophthalmology service to patients in West Midlands. Prior to that I did my postgraduate ophthalmology training in London and Wales.
I have performed more than 15,000 cataract operations over the last 28 years. I perform 10 times more cataract operations than most ophthalmologists in the UK (2000+ cataract operations in 2019 compared to national average of less than 200 per surgeon) making me one of the most experienced cataract surgeons in the UK.
My complication rates are among the lowest in the country (less than 1 in 500 cases, compared to the national average of 1 in 80 cases). You have the reassurance that you will be operated on by one of the safest surgeons in the country.
With more than 28 years’ experience performing cataract and lens replacement surgery, I am one of the senior cataract surgeons in the region. You have the reassurance that I have the skill to deal with even the most complex, challenging and difficult cataract operations.
I specialise in implanting advanced technology premium lens implants that are not available on the NHS.
Over the last 3 decades, I have gained valuable expertise in the medical management of glaucoma, and along with using advanced technology investigations on a 6-monthly basis, I am able to provide an affordable bespoke fixed-price glaucoma management package to provide glaucoma care that you will not get on the NHS.
I have been teaching cataract surgery to junior doctors for decades. I am on the faculty of the microsurgical skills course and also an examiner for the Royal College of Ophthalmologists. I am actively involved in training. I have published and presented numerous scientific papers in various national and international ophthalmic meetings.
I am married with two children. In my spare time I try to keep fit, I enjoy walking and swimming.