MB ChB, PgDip Med Ethics and Law, FRCSEd, FRCOphth
- Speciality: ophthalmology.
- Sub Speciality: cataract and glaucoma.
- Special clinical interests: small incision cataract surgery, toric (astigmatism) and multifocal implants, general ophthalmology, glaucoma lasers including SLT, YAG, diode and argon, minimal invasive Glaucoma surgery MIGS, trabeculectomy with anti-scarring agent surgery, glaucoma tube-shunt implants surgery, endoscopic lasers, ocular surface disease and dry eyes.
- Current NHS and /or university posts: consultant ophthalmic surgeon at Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre, Honorary Senior Clinical lecturer at University of Birmingham. Speciality Advisor to Care Quality Commission.
- Year of first medical qualification: 1990.
- Current membership(s) of professional, national and regional bodies: European Glaucoma Society, European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, United Kingdom and Ireland, Glaucoma Society, American Academy of Ophthalmology, British Medical Association.
Mr Nessim is a consultant at Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre, the supra regional unit in the Midlands. He completed his specialist ophthalmology training in the Midlands and South Wales, followed by a surgical fellowship in glaucoma at Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre and a further internationally renowned fellowship at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.
Having performed over 7000 cataract operations, he is an expert in small incision cataract surgery, clear lens extraction. He is a specialist in managing complex glaucoma, and has performed over 1000 glaucoma procedures including trabeculectomy, micro invasive glaucoma surgery using iStents and aqueous shunt implantation. In addition to this, Mr Nessim also performs external and endoscopic lasers treatments.
He also takes on difficult and complex cataract operations that have been referred by other eye specialists with advanced glaucoma or other diseases.
Currently, Mr Nessim is an examiner at the University of Birmingham, and the Royal College of Ophthalmologists. He teaches the medical students as well as training glaucoma and cataract fellows in Birmingham. He is the director of the surgical skills facility and was previously the director of the glaucoma services at the Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre.
Mr Nessim is married with two daughters. His hobbies include playing table tennis and travelling as well as spending quality time with his family. Furthermore in his free time he enjoys reading, particularly historical and theological books which he is very passionate about.