MB ChB (Hons), FRCS (Urol), FEBU
- Speciality: urology
- Sub-speciality: andrology, benign prostate diseases, bladder/kidney stone disease, bladder cancer, erectile dysfunction, kidney cancer, prostate cancer, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections, urological cancer, urological pathology.
- Special clinical interests: Benign and malignant (urological cancer), prostate, bladder, kidney and testicular; urinary stone disease (including lithotripsy and flexible uretero-renoscopy); one-stop prostate and haematuria (blood in urine) service; PSA and prostate biopsy service (including targeted biopsies); urinary symptoms (including TURP, green light laser prostatectomy and urolift); urinary tract infection; erectile/sexual dysfunction; laser for upper tract transitional cell tumours; vasectomy; circumcision operation; rezum steam therapy.
- Current NHS and /or university posts Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust (Birmingham Heartlands, Solihull and Good Hope Hospitals).
- Year of first medical qualification: 1998
- Current membership(s) of professional, national and regional bodies: British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS), European Association of Urology (EAU), Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCS), British Medical Association (BMA).
As a consultant urological surgeon, I work privately as well as working in the NHS at the University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust (Birmingham Heartlands, Solihull and Good Hope Hospitals), since October 2013. I offer my patients a comprehensive service (including general, cancer, stones, and prostate / bladder problems).
I provide services for treating lower urinary tract symptoms due to enlarged prostate including TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) and green light laser prostatectomy. I am also providing new minimally invasive services for prostatic obstruction symptoms including UroLift and Rezum steam therapy. I am developing a prevision template and MRI/USS fusion prostate biopsies. I regularly give talks to GPs and local support groups.
I have published widely and presented at numerous national and international meetings. I have been awarded the title of Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer from the University of Birmingham. I always put my patients first, listen to my patients and give them sufficient information to make an informed decision, using the latest evidence available.
I was born and raised in the West Midlands. I qualified from the University of Manchester (MB ChB Hons). I trained in the North West, London and completed my higher urological training on the West Midlands Higher Urological Specialist Training Rotation.
I am governance lead for quality and safety at University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust.
In addition to my clinical work, I am involved in teaching medical students from the University of Manchester. Furthermore, I am involved in clinical examinations of medical students attached to Birmingham Heartlands, Solihull and Good Hope Hospitals.
Research and Publication
I have published in the following journals (as first author) and I have been involved in reviewing papers for publication.
- British Journal of Urology.
- International Journal of Clinical Urology.
- Journal of Urology.
- Urology (Gold Journal).
- PubMed: Bicalutamide Monotherapy.